FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

They say: “Serious bang for your buck.”
We say: “It’s the modern-day RD350.”

When I first rode Yamaha's three-cylinder FZ-09 (2014 Yamaha FZ-09 FIRST RIDE), I was impressed. The bike is small and light, and the motor is fantastically powerful and serves up a broad spread of thrust. And it's affordable: just $7,990. I had to remind myself of that low MSRP every time my long-term FZ-09's suspension jostled my skeleton or the twitchy throttle caught me off guard. For the price, some stuff is bound to suffer.

Not so with the new FZ-07. This latest budget bike from Yamaha is a serious over achiever. In fact, it might be a better bike than its big brother. The FZ-07 is more comfortable, has smoother throttle response, more functional suspension, yet it still hauls the mail. The FZ-07's 689cc parallel-twin dishes out the same kind of excitement as the FZ-09—albeit not quite as much—and the bike's suspension is excellent for such a basic setup. (The laydown shock is adjustable for spring preload, but the right-side-up fork offers no adjustments.) It's tuned for "comfort and commuting," says Yamaha, so things are on the soft side, but the springs aren't flimsy and there's adequate damping at both ends and in both directions of movement. The fork and shock strike a great balance between comfort and control, which are two targets the FZ-09's suspension missed.

The FZ-07 doesn't have ride-by-wire throttle like the FZ-09 so there are no ride modes, but there's also no sign of the abruptness that plagues the triple. The FZ-07 is tractable and smooth but still offers serious acceleration—I was genuinely surprised when a handful of throttle in first gear sent the front tire skyward.

Yamaha claims 74 hp and 50 pound-feet of torque for the FZ-07, and a good portion of that power is available right off idle. There's tons of midrange thrust, but the engine fizzes out en route to the 10,500 rpm rev limiter. Things get buzzy above 6,000 rpm, but you can avoid the vibes entirely by short-shifting. Yamaha's twin has lots of low-end torque; I let the revs drop as low as 2,000 rpm in fourth gear while we were cruising around Seattle, Washington, and the bike leapt forward easily, with a pleasant, V-twin-like shudder from the engine. Like Yamaha's Super Ténéré adventure bike, the FZ-09's mill has a 270-degree crank that yields uneven firing intervals for more dynamic power and sound. It works. While most parallel-twins are as exciting as a blender, the FZ-07's engine has good feel and character, and a pleasantly syncopated (and thoroughly muffled) exhaust note.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/2015_yamaha_fz_07_first_ride/#ixzz35mhds2ck

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Good to read......since Peggy has one on order! Thanks for the post Nick.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't read a bad review yet. I picked mine up 2 days ago and it is wonderful. I can't wait to put it on the road for a couple of hundred miles.
I think we are all excited to hear your unbiased opinion of the bike once you get those miles on it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see they mentioned the RD350. That's the first motorcycle I ever rode. Anyone who has ever heard one can play that sound in your head over and over. Lift the seat and in goes the gas and oil IIRC. It was the first bike I ever got on and almost dropped at top of a hill. I was able to wrestle it up .. lol. Serious speed on that machine. Can you imagine, drum brakes front and back. Bet it was heavy too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 350 had 39 horsepower. But it would kill my buddies Yamaha 650 from stop light to stop light. On the open road he killed me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kahold this was my first bike in 1973. I can not remember the top speed or if it had a 5 speed or 6 speed. I think 5 speed. Not sure if 6 speed was out in 1973. The bike was super cool for it's day. I did take it on the highway. It was a 2 stroke and it mixed the oil and gas. The review at the top calls our new FZ 07 the modern day RD 350. I think they may be correct!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Hey guys...can we please stay on topic here...this is a FZ07 review thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
retro-PICTURE0.jpg
My first bike was a 1983 Honda Ascot VT 500. I had it for 2 months before a drunk driver in a pickup truck took a left hand turn head-on right into me. I loved that bike. But back to the thread of the FZ07..... I fell in love with this bike after five miles. I have had a few bikes over the years and this FZ07 in my opinion is amazing. My favorite by far. I can get enough of it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You are on a spirited ride...turning, shifting, downshifting, accelerating hard, taking the bike through its paces, and suddenly everything seems to click and the bike feels like an extension of you. It feels lighter, more responsive, capable of anything you ask of it. Happened just a couple of days ago for me with the FZ-07. Confidence, I guess.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Our bike is super light and really skinny the other day i switch bike with my friend i was riding his honda cb1000 for like 10 mins. Lane splitting was not as easy lol and felt super bulky lol i told we need to switch back right away. Even him was like "damn i love your bike, easy light and nimple to turn" and i added and we get loke 60 mpg lol not 25 to 30 like your lol. Plus its half the price of your bike lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts