FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, here is your answer:
If you want to ad anything electrical to your bike, you have to work out how much spare capacity the generator (i.e. the alternator has). You have to know the total parasitic load used by everything on it. Engine, lights etc. etc. Then you need to know the max output from the alternator, which is NOT given in the manual. Subtract one fom the other and that's what you have left to power additional accessories.

Example: if an alternator produces 50W of power and ALL the stuff on the bike uses 30W, then you have 20W available LESS 20% SAFETY = 16W

If you want to know how to do all this, let me know and I'll be happy to explain

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I had a functioning brain I could be a menace to society. You are 100% correct. With an O/P of 410W you now need to find the TOTAL PARASITIC LOAD on the system. Remove the front seat and locate the battery. You need an amp clamp. These are a clamp that when put around a cable, enable you to measure the current flowing through it.
Run the bike, turn on everything, 4 ways, full headlight, brake lights, the works.
Clamp the POSITIVE cable of the battery and measure the current. Multiply that by 12 and you will have the wattage. Subtract that figure from the Alternator output (i.e.410W) and that is the power you have available. To be on the safe side, you should subtract 20%

Hope this makes sense. Apologies for being a goof

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tripage - Sorry, I need to mention. You are quite correct that LED take minimal load (mAmps) and that in all probability the bike system can handle it. The issue is, though, not one of battery capacity or the rectifier, its the Alternator output. If power consumption is> the o/p, the battery will discharge. The rectifier is changing three phase output AC to DC that is all.
Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts