FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone sourced a k&n filter? I don't see it listed on the k&n site or anywhere else?

also, anyone modifying their airbox ? drill holes etc. I used to do this on my motocrossers (w/ a k&n). Thinking to do on this machine.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
im a little drunk, no im realy drunk. but did you say your thinking of spend $47 for a air filter? im laughing so hard my stomach is hurting me.

why cant you just get on the bike and ride the shit out of it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So this is the tiny little hole that passes for our air intake, (it sits on top of the filter), you can get a K&N hi-flo but that intake is going to be your bottle neck.

Solution, DNA makes a stage 2 large mouth intake that sits atop their filter and does away with that entire contraption for $65, (Nick's gonna yank his hair out), but I'm thinking I could make that intake plate out of a piece of 1/8 inch thick wood myself, same thing.

After installing a DNA pod filter, stage 2 intake plate and a $400 Dynojet power commander... (this is not my bike)

The dyno charts show stock in red, after mods in blue, (this bike also has a roughly $800 Arrow exhaust), doesn't look impressive, gained a little mid range at the cost of about $1350 plus install time and expense. Top chart is hp, bottom is torque.

For only an extra thousand dollars you could have bought an FZ-09 and had about an extra 45 hp and 11 lbs. more torque, these mods aren't worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Let's not get carried away with these exaggerations and hp claims. The Average FZ09 puts out 106 hp to the rear wheel. The Average FZ07 pits out 68 hp to the rear wheel. That would be a 39 hp difference...not 45 hp.

In addition....just allowing more air into the engine won't increase horsepower at all UNLESS the fuel mixture you are running is RICH. If the $97.00 air filter makes your bike run LEANER....then yes it might be a bit faster..but it also makes the engine run hotter...especially at idle. So if you like overheating and wearing out a new motor...then go for it. Don't fall for these exaggerated horsepower claims from DNA. It's all bullshit unless you buy a fuel controller to adjust the air to fuel ratio correctly.

The stock air filter can flow more air than the engine can use in stock form....so unless you run an aftermarket exhaust system and buy a fuel controller....an air filter that flows more air is a waste of money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does DNA ship to Canada , would love to get the stage two kit! Been on there site bob h, and it actually a says a remap ir power commander is necasary with the stage 2 kit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does DNA ship to Canada , would love to get the stage two kit! Been on there site bob h, and it actually a says a remap ir power commander is necasary with the stage 2 kit
If you believe anything it says on the DNA site...I have some really nice swamp land I can sell to you...cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you believe anything it says on the DNA site...I have some really nice swamp land I can sell to you...cheap.
Well bob, I dont know if you know anything about engines or not, but it's common sense, if your getting more air you need more fuel , making what DNa says correct

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well bob, I dont know if you know anything about engines or not, but it's common sense, if your getting more air you need more fuel , making what DNa says correct
True...but the stock air filter flows MORE air than the engine can use at maximum RPM's......therefore if you KEPT the stock air filter and added more fuel with a fuel controller...the results would be exactly the same. In addition just adding more air and more fuel , won't do you a bit of good without adding a more free flowing exhaust. Just adding a DNA air filter to a stock bike...just makes the bike leaner. Without the exhaust and fuel controller...you gain nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
True...but the stock air filter flows MORE air than the engine can use at maximum RPM's......therefore if you KEPT the stock air filter and added more fuel with a fuel controller...the results would be exactly the same. In addition just adding more air and more fuel , won't do you a bit of good without adding a more free flowing exhaust. Just adding a DNA air filter to a stock bike...just makes the bike leaner. Without the exhaust and fuel controller...you gain nothing.
Total agree , exhaust is a must, and i didn't plan on just puttin a air filter on, I just like what I read about dna filters and am wondering if I can get it shipped to Canada or not

1 - 11 of 11 Posts