FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that most likely no big name BBK manufacturer will make a BBK for the FZ-07 but that might change in the future.

Then I started thinking of 800CC size bikes with 2 cylinders that maybe their pistons could work/mount into a FZ-07 engine with a stamped out head/bored cylinders.

This might work, with great results even. This would be the ultimate upgrade for FZ-07 owners who want to bore up, with no kits on the market. Could be worth +20HP or more with a port and polish job. A 95-100HP Fz-07 with 800-848cc engine bore kit would be awsum.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Another option would be to borrow 82mm & 83mm forged pistons From a zlockracing suzuki 744cc big bore kit made for the sv650.
This could be a more reliable setup requiring not a huge boring out of the cylinder walls on the fz-07 engine.

Again I have no idea what the connecting rods look like. Most likely you would need to use SV650 connecting rods as well and then hope
that they might magically just happen to mate up perfectly to the fz-07 crankshaft.

It would be cool to find the right piston/rod combo that would fit into the fz-07 engine with little hassle and only require some cylinder head boring.
After that it would be as easy as swapping in slightly bigger injectors, maybe doing some throttle body work, port and polish, and finally a tune with a programmable ECU.
After all this is said and done I would hope for and expect 95-100hp. You might be able to gear up the front sprocket, get the same off the line performance 0-60 times as stock, but gain 15-20mph in top speed making it a 150mph bike. Or keep it stock geared and have a much snappier bike then stock.

Three more bikes pistons come to mind when thinking of ways to Frankenstein an FZ-07 engine to be bigger/more powerful.

Ducati 748
Aprilia 750 Bore x Stroke: 92 x 56,4 mm
Ducati 899

Most of the 750-900cc bikes are v-twins
but that doesn't matter much, what matters is weather or not their pistons can fit an fz-07 head with boring and weather or not their connecting rods will fit a fz-07 crankshaft with a correct stroke to give a reliable performance increase

When boring out the fz-07 engine one critical point would be the cylinder wall separating the two pistons. To thin and it goes kapoey. It looks tight, but there might be some room in there for a bore job. How much room, and how big I have no idea. 750cc could be the max, or maybe 900cc would work fine, no idea. Hopefully someone with a lot more money and time then me will figure this out before I do, and do all the R&D then report back on this forum so that the rest of us have a much easier time upgrading! : )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting to think after looking the engine picture over repeatedly that there's no room for boring this twin design since the wall dividing each piston would become to thin and also i'm not sure fitting a bigger head would work since the connecting rods still need to line up with and bolt onto the crankshaft. The good news is after searching a few months something has finally poped up on the web for the fz07 motor. They are stock bore 80mm size pistons made for the fz07 engine that ups the compression to 12.5. This could result in maybe 5-10hp gain depending on tune? No idea, anyone going to try a set?

Wiseco Piston Kit Yamaha FZ07 2015/80mm Bore/12.5:1/689cc/Single Assembly
Yamaha

FZ07 2015

80mm Bore / 689cc
12.5:1 Compression (+1.0 vs Stock)
Single Assembly
Includes Rings, Wrist Pin, Circlips
Please Order 2 For Complete Motor!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ya, an FZ-07 with 90 - 100 hp at the wheel would be awesome, all the bike I'd ever need. A big bore kit would be great. Compression could also be increased by installing a thinner head gasket, or having the head machined.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is only room inside this engine to go to 83mm, or 742cc. This is because of the "siamese" of the cylinder walls. It is very "easy" relatively to do this mod, custom pistons, have the cylinder block bored and plated, Cometic already makes a head gasket. But it's not cheap!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that most likely no big name BBK manufacturer will make a BBK for the FZ-07 but that might change in the future.

Then I started thinking of 800CC size bikes with 2 cylinders that maybe their pistons could work/mount into a FZ-07 engine with a stamped out head/bored cylinders.

This might work, with great results even. This would be the ultimate upgrade for FZ-07 owners who want to bore up, with no kits on the market. Could be worth +20HP or more with a port and polish job. A 95-100HP Fz-07 with 800-848cc engine bore kit would be awsum.

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/fz-07.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts