FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike so I have to ask. Do all bikes engine brake as fast as this one? It seems like I can go from 70mph to 35mph in less than 50ft while in 6th, just by letting off the throttle. Or is it because of how it is geared to give us more torque and so has the adverse affect when not under power?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Both the FZ07 and the FZ09 have tons of engine braking....which can be your friend if applied correctly. I will say that on my FZ09, when I had the ECU reflashed several months ago, that process removed some of the engine braking and I like it better that way. The work around without doing the ECU reflash is better throttle control.

Reactions: Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was a little much. I've gone as far as chirping tire while going down into 3rd and 2nd. Which is pretty nerve racking for a new rider. Needless to say I need to work on that throttle control. Don't get me wrong it comes in really handy when I'm in traffic and instead grabbing a fist full of brake I can just let off the gas.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Lots of riding time will certainly help the situation also. As an example, my FZ09 still has tons more engine braking, even with the reflash than my 600RR track bike does. So, one weekend I might be riding on the street on the FZ09 and the next weekend I spend two days on the track on my 600RR.....which is night and day difference between the two bikes. I really don't have any issues doing this....but I spend a lot of time on both bikes and I guess the old timer's brain is trained on how to react to different bikes. On the track, I'm a very hard "braker" and will trail brake to almost ever corner if the opportunity presents itself. On the street, at a much more relaxed pace, I don't need to be. It's all about training yourself what to do and when to do it.....but I agree, the FZ07 does have quite a lot of engine braking. I spent quite a bit of time on my wife's 07 breaking in the engine and I noticed it first thing.....kind of like the FZ09 before the flash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts