FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, haven't bought the FZ7 yet, but I have questions / concerns. And I've read through a lot of the posts on here, read lots of articles and watched real reviews on YT from owners. I am a woman in my 50's, have been riding for six years, I have a few physical limitations but I still want to ride. My needs are a bike that is in the 600 - 700 cc range, nimble, has good performance, is comfortable, easy clutch lever, upright seating...and since I like to tour a few times a year, it needs to be tour-worthy. Have looked at the nc700x, the Versys 650, the v-strom 650 and although I really like these, they are a bit top-heavy to me. I sat on a ninja 650 and was amazed at how easy it was to use the clutch lever and lift it up off the kickstand. Then, I sat on this FZ7 and was even more amazed. My concerns are:
  • There's the fear of buying a bike that is the first generation where they may not have worked out the known issues. (Same reason why I don't buy the first generation of a phone, for example.)
  • How do you attach saddlebags for a tour on this bike? (I have Cortech soft bags)
  • I've heard that it can be 'grabby' or 'jerky' which is exactly one of the reasons why I'm selling my FZ6r...it's soooo not smooth shifting. Could be operator error, though. :(
  • One review mentioned that the suspension is saggy but I'm sure that can be fixed.
  • The only mods I would do is the fender eliminator and an easy clutch so I like that.
  • This bike is almost a hundred pounds lighter in weight than my bike and has about 25% more power...hell to the YES!
  • Everything else seems great.
It's very difficult to get a bike to test ride although I might be able to this weekend. But how do you really know if a bike will really work for you unless you've been on it for some time, days, weeks, different situations? I am 5' 9" and 140 lbs and it seems like it would suit me. Very nervous about buying it only to find out it's not for me. Any advice, thoughts, suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well 5'9" isn't as important as how long your legs are, but I'm 5'10" at 150lbs and the bike handles better than just about anything else I've ridden. I could use more padding in the seat for longer rides but otherwise it's not an issue. There is an accessory for attaching bags though I don't know if they're universal and therefore can't tell you whether your current bags would fit. What I can say is that it's whisper quiet, very smooth shifting, flickable, comfortable, and overall very easy to ride. I see myself owning this one for years. It just replaced my Triumph Street Triple. I missed that bike for about 10 minutes...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I loved that bike. I only had it for a year but unfortunately I found that it was causing me some pretty severe hearing loss so I had to get rid of it. Even with ear plugs my ears would ring after ten minutes. So part of what I wanted in a new bike was quiet and the FZ07 has that in spades. The sound really does belie how powerful this two cylinder v-twin is. With an aftermarket exhaust it sounds like a cruiser.

·
Registered
23 Posts
More low end torque, yeah, but the R6 will eat this bike alive from a power perspective. That doesn't make it any less fun to ride though. The FZ07 is a lot more comfortable. I put about 10K miles on an R6 before I totaled it. Great bike but not good for anything more than about 2-3 hours at a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUwas trying to decide betweenOTE="High Plains Drifter, post: 3867, member: 201"]
  • Hell to the nope, an FZ6 has an R6 inline 4 mill that pumps out 97hp, the FZ-07 makes about 70hp.
[/QUOTE]

I was trying to decide between the fz6r and the fz 07. I didn't see anything that said the fz6r had that much power. More like mid 70's. Plus it weighs 70lbs. More. I thought the fz 07 would beat it in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, I read High Plains' post completely wrong. You guys are talking about an FZ6. Not having ridden one, I can't really comment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, haven't bought the FZ7 yet, but I have questions / concerns. And I've read through a lot of the posts on here, read lots of articles and watched real reviews on YT from owners. I am a woman in my 50's, have been riding for six years, I have a few physical limitations but I still want to ride. My needs are a bike that is in the 600 - 700 cc range, nimble, has good performance, is comfortable, easy clutch lever, upright seating...and since I like to tour a few times a year, it needs to be tour-worthy. Have looked at the nc700x, the Versys 650, the v-strom 650 and although I really like these, they are a bit top-heavy to me. I sat on a ninja 650 and was amazed at how easy it was to use the clutch lever and lift it up off the kickstand. Then, I sat on this FZ7 and was even more amazed. My concerns are:
  • There's the fear of buying a bike that is the first generation where they may not have worked out the known issues. (Same reason why I don't buy the first generation of a phone, for example.)
  • How do you attach saddlebags for a tour on this bike? (I have Cortech soft bags)
  • I've heard that it can be 'grabby' or 'jerky' which is exactly one of the reasons why I'm selling my FZ6r...it's soooo not smooth shifting. Could be operator error, though. :(
  • One review mentioned that the suspension is saggy but I'm sure that can be fixed.
  • The only mods I would do is the fender eliminator and an easy clutch so I like that.
  • This bike is almost a hundred pounds lighter in weight than my bike and has about 25% more power...hell to the YES!
It's very difficult to get a bike to test ride although I might be able to this weekend. But how do you really know if a bike will really work for you unless you've been on it for some time, days, weeks, different situations? I am 5' 9" and 140 lbs and it seems like it would suit me. Very nervous about buying it only to find out it's not for me. Any advice, thoughts, suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently traded in my FZ6r for an FZ07 and I find it a much more comfortable bike to ride by comparison.
Your physical size should NOT be a problem for the FZ07, I am under 5'4" and I can ride it without difficulty.
In an earlier response someone compared your FZ6r to the "FZ6" (not the same bike). The FZ6 has considerably more horsepower.
The transmission on the FZ07 is much more precise than the FZ6r. Far less shifting is required for the FZ07 than the FZ6r.
The FZ07 is 73 pounds lighter than the FZ6r.
The FZ07 seems to have more power and certainly more torque (but both are quite manageable) than the FZ6r.
As for touring we have to remember that the FZ07 was designed to be a "street fighter" not a tourer.
The suspension on the FZ07 is inferior to that of the Your FZ6r.
The FZ6r is better suited for touring in my opinion.
I did like my FZ6r but I love the FZ07.

I hope the info helps you in your decision.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds like the bike for you. I doubt that you will notice anything "wrong" with the stock suspension and the clutch and throttle-response are both very smooth and predictable, one of the things most reviewers have noted, as well. Also, the weight at less than 400# wet, ready to ride was a major selling point for me. ENJOY and all the best!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Lucky!

You mentioned some limitation and focus on a light clutch and are worried about shifting jerkiness. I just watched a video of the NC700X and you should really consider it as the engine is about the same size and sounds similar, it's not real heavy, and it has an optional automatic which seems to work real well in the videos. I love my FZ-07 so far but only have 100 miles on it. Oh the NC has that adventure tour look but is not meant for off road I understand. It already has the windscreen though. I think it costs more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts