FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys cruise at on the highway on long trips? Is there a point at which the wind is just too much without a windscreen? Or is it more about fuel?

Also 'hypothetically' what is the fastest you guys have run? I hear naked bikes are not stable at higher speeds and was wondering if that is true or Internet forum myth.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
wind screens help out a lot at high speeds. the taller the screen the more it helps. I have a small screen and done 100 mph no problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All your personal comfort zone. On naked bikes I sit comfortably at 120kph all day long - straight up, not tucked. Above and beyond 150kph, I'm tucked as low as possible, though 150kph isn't a (cruising) speed for me on a naked.
On a Supersport, that's a different matter ;)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I've been to the rev limiter on my FZ09 in 6th gear, which as you know is a naked bike. Wind blast is of course substantial, but as far as being stable, zero issues. Oh, BTW, the is 131 or 132 MPH.

Reactions: Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
We all know how the 07 is a blast to zip around on with light weight, great tires, and just enough ponies to go. But eventually we are humbled and yesterday it was take it to the limit time with a late model Challenger. I didn't see an SRT badge and with the driver sporting a backwards ball cap he wasn't going to flash a badge. So as the traffic opened we opened her up!

YHMBSRVNT got shut down! The little FZ was gasping for air at 107 as the big Dodge walked away. I didn't trust the dude not to play me so I wasn't in his slip stream. Even grabbing the lead edge on the tank and laying like a lizard I doubt there was much more beyond 110 at the top.

It is likely that aero makes a difference, 75HP is more than some of my other bikes that were faster.

So even if you guys want the tell lies, fess up, What will she do?

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNQJFjCI
November Cycle World - FZ-07 did 0-60 in 3.4 seconds; 1/4 mile in 12.16 sec @106.70 mph. And these guys know how to launch ... this bike is faster to 60 and probably 80 than almost any car. The $80,000 Corvette Z06 (base price) does 2.95 seconds and 10.95 seconds (NY Daily News). So if you really have to be faster than that, spend more than $7,000, say $12,000, and you can play. Examples: Triumph Daytona 675R does 1/4 mile in 10.5 seconds (October Motorcyclist); December Cycle World has BMW R nineT (not the fastest bike for the money) doing 2.8 seconds and [email protected] 120.32 mph. So once you dust off the Challenger, or Mustang, or Base Corvette on your FZ-07, back off and let him go by. I did the ton on a lonely stretch just to see, the bike gets there fast enough. But let's keep that to the track days.

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNT9VcpX
I posted that my top speed was 106 mph, sitting up and WFO in top gear. Now the Puig tall screen is installed I can revise that. The tall screen is below my shoulders and creates still air up to my chin. It makes it much easier to ride. I was shocked at the increase in top speed. Again sitting up the bike easily reached 120 mph. I am 6' tall and 210 lbs. Both time I wore a bulky touring suite. Anybody claim higher top speed?

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNTZA4mT

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wind resistance is fierce on these naked bikes over 100 mph. Something like the Ninja 300 with fairings and a fly screen do better at speeds approaching 100. The forte of the FZ07 is city and highway speeds where it's torque can be applied, but not top end. I just head on over to the passing lane of I-35 and stay there at whatever it takes to keep up with the flow of fast traffic there...usually an indicated 76 mph. The bike is just fine at that speed and you could go all day without stressing yourself or the engine. 100 mph is as fast as I've had mine. It got there fast, but seems less well-planted at that speed. I think it will do 120 mph if you have enough road and guts. I took my Gixxer 1000 to 140 mph or so, but that is a race bike and hugs the road just fine at those speeds. Still scary as hell. Top speed is 186 mph on that bike, but my comfort level is much lower, just like it is with the FZ07. I also never topped out my Street Triple r or my Ninja 650r due to the fear factor. The only bikes I've maxed out are the Ninja 300 at 100 mph (top speed is said to be 106), and the CB300F at 87mph (top speed is said to be 90), and of course the Grom with a top speed of 64 mph or so in a full tuck, plus some old 250s that shook and swayed at top speed of 70 mph or so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done 120 mph on mine with no mods, but those last handful or so of mph were creeping. Highly doubt it has much more in it while stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We all know how the 07 is a blast to zip around on with light weight, great tires, and just enough ponies to go. But eventually we are humbled and yesterday it was take it to the limit time with a late model Challenger. I didn't see an SRT badge and with the driver sporting a backwards ball cap he wasn't going to flash a badge. So as the traffic opened we opened her up!

YHMBSRVNT got shut down! The little FZ was gasping for air at 107 as the big Dodge walked away. I didn't trust the dude not to play me so I wasn't in his slip stream. Even grabbing the lead edge on the tank and laying like a lizard I doubt there was much more beyond 110 at the top.

It is likely that aero makes a difference, 75HP is more than some of my other bikes that were faster.

So even if you guys want the tell lies, fess up, What will she do?

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNQJFjCI
November Cycle World - FZ-07 did 0-60 in 3.4 seconds; 1/4 mile in 12.16 sec @106.70 mph. And these guys know how to launch ... this bike is faster to 60 and probably 80 than almost any car. The $80,000 Corvette Z06 (base price) does 2.95 seconds and 10.95 seconds (NY Daily News). So if you really have to be faster than that, spend more than $7,000, say $12,000, and you can play. Examples: Triumph Daytona 675R does 1/4 mile in 10.5 seconds (October Motorcyclist); December Cycle World has BMW R nineT (not the fastest bike for the money) doing 2.8 seconds and [email protected] 120.32 mph. So once you dust off the Challenger, or Mustang, or Base Corvette on your FZ-07, back off and let him go by. I did the ton on a lonely stretch just to see, the bike gets there fast enough. But let's keep that to the track days.

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNT9VcpX
I posted that my top speed was 106 mph, sitting up and WFO in top gear. Now the Puig tall screen is installed I can revise that. The tall screen is below my shoulders and creates still air up to my chin. It makes it much easier to ride. I was shocked at the increase in top speed. Again sitting up the bike easily reached 120 mph. I am 6' tall and 210 lbs. Both time I wore a bulky touring suite. Anybody claim higher top speed?

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/443/#ixzz3QNTZA4mT
I've been 126 on mine...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel like an extreme puss, I topped out at 111 for about 1 full second, fully tucked and praying. That was on the 118 (chatsworth california) on a saturday at about 9am, with NO ONE around. I feel like there was room for it to go more, but not with any power behind it. That was after I put my graves full system on as well, so there's some slight power loss there.

I honestly never really need to go that fast unless some punk kid decides his car that his parents bought him is faster. And in that event, I leave him stranded and stuck behind cars that he can't filter through. I don't need to be fast, just quick and smart.

I mentioned this in the windscreen thread, but you can put your feet up on the passenger foot pegs and hug the bike a little more like a street bike if you really need to become one with the machine. It's difficult to position your feet when cornering that way though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the Givi screen on mine and I've found that around 75 is about where things can get uncomfortable for extended cruising. It really depends a lot on the local wind conditions too. Into a 15 mph wind @ 75 is a lot worse than 75 WITH a 15 mph wind. I've had mine up to 115, and that was into a wind of 5 to 10 mph. I chickened out before really reaching terminal velocity (but I doubt it had much left for the given conditions). All of this is one of the reasons I think the MadStad screen option would be great if you plan on doing a lot of extended highway miles. Use the fly screen around town. Swap in the tall screen for long distance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I started his post I've got her to 113, but ran out of road. I think she had more, but it felt like not much more.

My bike is stock, about 1600 miles, no screen, near sea level.

Since there seems to be a lot of variance in what people get, what do you guys think about tune? Could the difference of 110 to 120 mph be an out of tune bike? I am not talking about chipping or piggy back computers, just the basic tune of the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Without a screen I've seen 116 mph without really trying and sitting straight up in sixth gear. It wasn't a pleasant ride at 116...but the bike did it no problem. With a screen I've seen 121 mph in fifth gear. I'm running an Akrapovic Titanium pipe with a CAT converter and a modded baffle....and stock gearing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had mine to 110 but not much was left. It took a while to get from 90 to the 110 mark. From 0 to 80 is very, very quick. I see 75, 80 at lot. The bike is plenty fast enough for me. My feelings are, it was not made for high ( above 100 mph) speeds. The old saying, if you want to go fast get enough bike! There are plenty of bikes that will exceed 100 with ease and reach 140, 150. I love the FZ 07 for all it does. Just my opinion, I do not think it makes any sense to spend the time and money to get a few more top end mph out of this bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Bill I live in chatsworth I'm not sure if you do, we should ride up to mulholland sometime I need people to ride with

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

First post on here. Picked up my 07 back in late April. Got 2200 miles on here so far.

2 oil changes. One at 600 miles. Filter and oil at 1100. Third change happening soon.

Yesterday I topped it out for the first time, two or three times in a ten minute highway stretch.

125 mph. 5'10 195 lbs. Jeans and long sleeve t shirt, camelback.

Stock bike. No windscreen. Wish it had more left to give, but handled like a beast. Tiny tiny bit of steering shake or wobble but honestly it had another 5-10 mph easily left in terms of steering if the engine could give it.

Glad to be on the forum.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imagine what you can do with a wind screen on your bike.
wish you would wear better riding gear next time

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
my cruising speed on the highway is around 130 kph (81 mph) and top speed so far is 205 kmh (128 mph) I have a very short sport windscreen Puig, it help a bit but not as much as I thought.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
most people who own puig screen say the same thing. its got to be the shape of the screen. with my screen I noticed a big differents . with out my screen it felt like I had to hang on tight like the wind is going to push me off the bike. now it hits me on my shoulders and helmet.

here more about screens

http://www.fz07oc.com/threads/windscreens-out-yet-yes-they-are-with-pics.28/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts