FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its recommended to bring my bike to the dealer for the 1st 600 mile maintenance, but I can do all of that myself. Its only oil change, air filter check, fluid check, tire pressure check, and alignment check. Its a lot cheaper to do it myself also. What do you guys think? Did you bring yours to the dealer?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did. This is my first bike so I figured i would just let the pros do this one and ask if there was anything I should be concerned about so I knew what to watch for from then on. Service manager at my dealer was pretty straight forward and told me the only real problems I had were low tire pressure and a dirty chain. He was even nice enough to tell me what I should be looking for and said that most of the issues that come up would be cheaper for me to do myself. He said just keep your own personal maintenance log and all your receipts for anything that you do so there is proof when/if the time comes to sell/trade it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The first service has a mandatory checklist. One of which is Throttle Body Sync. Others are cam chain adjustment if necessary and valve clearance check. Most folks do not have the tools...knowledge..or the electronic equipment to perform these checks.....therefore if you DO NOT do them,,or have them done by a shop....your warranty claims can be DENIED.

To avoid any problems later on....600 mile service should be done by somebody who can provide you a LEGITIMATE receipt. Riding bikes cost money. Being cheap with a $7500.00 purchase is not real smart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The first valve clearance check is not until 26,600 miles.
True..but the other "required" tasks for a 600 mi service include throttle body sync and air cleaner inspection....among others. If somebody has to remove the gas tank to do those things....checking valve clearance is pretty easy at that point.

I would admit that since the FZ07 has no "issues" ...a simple oil and filter change would be good enough at 600 miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did a hard break-in, changed the oil at about 100 miles, and did the second oil change at 600 miles. I have 1700 miles on the bike now. The only time I've taken a bike to the dealer ever is for recalls, warranty work, and for a free 600-mile service that came with a Triumph. Yes, if it had any problems, I would take it back, but probably before 600 miles.

The question comes up about warranty and having your manual stamped for warranty if something goes wrong. I suppose that could come up. Say you change your own oil, the drain bolt falls out, the oil drains out and your engine seizes. If you had your manual stamped, that wouldn't be your problem. If you had done the work yourself, they would probably question whether you tightened the drain bolt properly and may not pay for a new engine. (Generally what would happen is the oil light would come on, the bike would run rough, you would stop, figure out what happened when you see the oil under the bike, buy a new bolt and put some more oil in and everything would be fine)....but you could damage the engine. So there probably is some peace of mind having the dealer do the maintenance. I just take my chances and it's worked out fine and saved me a lot of money over the years doing my own maintenance. An oil/filter change costs me $25 max.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know its recommended to bring my bike to the dealer for the 1st 600 mile maintenance, but I can do all of that myself. Its only oil change, air filter check, fluid check, tire pressure check, and alignment check. Its a lot cheaper to do it myself also. What do you guys think? Did you bring yours to the dealer?
Hi, I did bring it to the dealer, they did the work and also there was a re-call because of some cable issues. So depending when you got your bike both topics can be solved together.

·
Registered
121 Posts
True..but the other "required" tasks for a 600 mi service include throttle body sync and air cleaner inspection....among others. If somebody has to remove the gas tank to do those things....checking valve clearance is pretty easy at that point.

I would admit that since the FZ07 has no "issues" ...a simple oil and filter change would be good enough at 600 miles.
That's not the air filter. The air filter is scheduled for replacement every 24,000 miles. The air filter check hose is that little hose that just ends and has a black cap with a black spring clamp on it. If you are on the left side of your bike, get down on your knees and find the two overflow hoses, follow those up and where they begin to curve toward the center of the bike, look to the right and you will see the air filter hose. All you do it take some pliers and squeeze the clamp, remove the cap and if there is any water or oil in there, let it drain out. It should be dry. Takes 10 seconds. So really the only thing you couldn't do is adjusting the synchronization cause you don't have the tool. But if the bike runs ok, you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oooops I did forget about the battery cable recall. No other choice but the dealer for that one for the free new parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, I had them do that too, but like you say, that is free. Actually, they called me and were eager to do it presumably because Yamaha pays them well to replace the cable, but if you were going to have them do the 600-mile service it would save you a trip to have them do that at the same time. I can't believe they don't have all those cables squared away by now. That recall has been out several months now and I assume they replaced it on any new bikes before they sold them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new bike, new rider, I definitely follow procedures. I brought it in a little over 1000 km, since it was a 450km just to bring it home. The mechanic told me it ran a lot smoother once serviced. It did cost $270 CAN, ouch, but hey, a brand new bike should feel like one as long as possible. And if and when you re-sale, you got a proof that it was maintained properly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, if you sell it to an individual, they may ask to see a service record. The dealer won't though if you trade it in, at least none ever have in the 25 or so motorcycles I've traded in. Heck, they don't even remember to ask for the owner's manual or extra key...but I always hand them over before I leave with the new bike. They usually ask if I have had the 600 mile service or if I've maintained the bike, but never have they asked to see any paperwork. They usually ride the bike, but they sometimes don't even do that.

Yes, the bike usually runs noticeably smoother after the first oil change. The Grom I had was rough and slow, and would die after you first started it.... for the first 25 miles, but after it got broken in and I changed the oil, and adjusted the valves, it purred, started perfectly, and ran 5 mph faster. I can't say I've noticed any changes in my FZ07, but it ran smooth from the beginning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts