FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the best way to increase my top speed is. I've had the FZ07 up to 126mph, which seems a bit low for a 700cc_ most 650's will hit around 150mph. I'd like to get 150 out of the FZ07, anyone know how?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You could probably do some improvement in top speed with a change of gearing and a tailwind the way it sits now. You could also buy some speed with aerodynamics: get a medium sized shield and tuck in behind it. In the end though... it is an aerodynamically dirty naked bike, with fun torque and descent power. If you wanted to go a lot faster for a little more money, the Honda CBR650F would have been a better choice. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just wondering what the best way to increase my top speed is. I've had the FZ07 up to 126mph, which seems a bit low for a 700cc_ most 650's will hit around 150mph. I'd like to get 150 out of the FZ07, anyone know how?
If your intention was to go 150mph ...why did you buy a naked bike?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy at the dealership told me it'd go 150 lol_ I'm happy with the FZ-07, just have some friends who, at 110+ take off on me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
image.jpg
So ECU unleashed has a performance reflash for the FZ07. Says that right off the bat it gives you four more horsepower and three more foot pounds of torque increases your throttle response and removes the Factory limitations on speed and such...
I called the guys at AF1 racing and asked them about it_ they said they would order it keep my bike for a couple days & tune it. They said that generally these do increase horsepower and possibly increase TopSpeed, they said for sure I would see increased mid range response and better all around performance... Price tag $450_
They said if I choose to do it it would be the first FZ07 that they've done in their shop... Does anybody have any experience with this kind of stuff?

·
Registered
74 Posts
First of all....if AFI never did a re flash on an FZ07...then why are you believing those claims from them? Horsepower can be gained with aftermarket pipes and ECU re flashes.....but we are talking about 66 horsepower to the rear wheel on the dyno for an FZ07. So...even IF you bought a pipe and got a re flash...you would not be gaining more than 4 to 5 hp tops. I hope you don't think that another 5 horsepower is going to make a bit of difference trying to keep up with your buddies. And guaranteed you will not be gaining 10mph on the top end. This is not the bike you will hit 150mph on. The dealership guy lied to you and you fell for it. I suggest you do some research and read a few magazines. You will find out real fast 150mph can't be done without a full fairing...and at least 120 horsepower. There is absolutely no way possible you will ever get 120 hp out of an FZO7. So...if you are determined to race your buddies to 150 mph on the street....you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shouldn't really be wanting to speed down the street at 150mph anyhow. Because I'm 95% certain you're not talking about doing that on a strip or track. Sure, going that fast is fun and all, but that's not what the 7 is intended for. MAYBE the 9. Might as well sell your 7 and just go grab a gsx1000 and squid it up there bud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all....if AFI never did a re flash on an FZ07...then why are you believing those claims from them? Horsepower can be gained with aftermarket pipes and ECU re flashes.....but we are talking about 66 horsepower to the rear wheel on the dyno for an FZ07. So...even IF you bought a pipe and got a re flash...you would not be gaining more than 4 to 5 hp tops. I hope you don't think that another 5 horsepower is going to make a bit of difference trying to keep up with your buddies. And guaranteed you will not be gaining 10mph on the top end. This is not the bike you will hit 150mph on. The dealership guy lied to you and you fell for it. I suggest you do some research and read a few magazines. You will find out real fast 150mph can't be done without a full fairing...and at least 120 horsepower. There is absolutely no way possible you will ever get 120 hp out of an FZO7. So...if you are determined to race your buddies to 150 mph on the street....you bought the wrong bike.
The dealership guy did lie to me but I didn't fall for anything I had already purchased the bike before he told me that it goes 150, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do realize that I probably won't get 150 out of the motorcycle. AF1 said they had never done a flash on an FZ07, and that if I wanted to do it, mine would be the first, however, they said they have done reflashes with Yamaha's, using ECU unleashed's reflash charts & specs. The reason for lack of top speed on the bike is throttle restriction/ rev limiter_ what I plan to do is reflash & get a windscreen. All I want to do is basically take the restrictions off.
I've had it up to 126mph_ I drive to my folks every weekend, that's 2.5 hours of long straight stretches with a speed limit of 75_ yeah... I go a bit over that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shouldn't really be wanting to speed down the street at 150mph anyhow. Because I'm 95% certain you're not talking about doing that on a strip or track. Sure, going that fast is fun and all, but that's not what the 7 is intended for. MAYBE the 9. Might as well sell your 7 and just go grab a gsx1000 and squid it up there bud.
Yeah_ I drive long stretches every weekend to my folks... 2.5 hours... I push the bike when I'm on those rural straight stretches w no one around... You can see forever & I take advantage ... Around town id never go that fast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah_ I drive long stretches every weekend to my folks... 2.5 hours... I push the bike when I'm on those rural straight stretches w no one around... You can see forever & I take advantage ... Around town id never go that fast.
Well that's good. I didn't mean to put you on blast like that though, just looking out for fellow riders. But yeah dude, put a little money aside and buy a used 1000 and leave your buds in the dust. Just don't loop out! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
So much talk about top speed. I can tell you this much. If you're skilled driver you'll win a city street show down any time with a little brain and balls over muscle.

I just looove to let "big muscle" stop next to me at the red light and rev up their engine on me then speed away only to come to complete stop behind some truck couple hundred meters down the road, and then I take my balls and brain and smoothly ride past the guy and cruise away cutting and splitting lines with ninja precision hehe :p Learn to safely do splitting and then going even 65 will be fast enough 2 win and leave your buddies smelling your exhaust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The biggest problem trying to hit 150 MPH on a non-fared bike is drag. Even if you could find the power, the drag would be enough to either tear you off the bike or make it so unmanageable that the result would be a crash. Take a look at the salt flats style of speedsters that should tell the story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealership guy did lie to me but I didn't fall for anything I had already purchased the bike before he told me that it goes 150, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do realize that I probably won't get 150 out of the motorcycle. AF1 said they had never done a flash on an FZ07, and that if I wanted to do it, mine would be the first, however, they said they have done reflashes with Yamaha's, using ECU unleashed's reflash charts & specs. The reason for lack of top speed on the bike is throttle restriction/ rev limiter_ what I plan to do is reflash & get a windscreen. All I want to do is basically take the restrictions off.
I've had it up to 126mph_ I drive to my folks every weekend, that's 2.5 hours of long straight stretches with a speed limit of 75_ yeah... I go a bit over that.
|I came on here to try and figure out of Yamaha has a speed limiter on the FZ-07 at 119 or 120 MPH sounds like you guys are saying that's all it will do .. I know some 1 Liter sports bikes will do 200 MPH

Back in the Day I raced guys with Kawasaki 900 and Kaw 1,000 .. I always beat them badly .. I knew I could beat them because my Camaro would do 150 MPH and they always topped out at 135 MP or so .. Funny to think about it now they were naked bikes.. No wonder why my Yamaha RZ-350 is so fast for a small 350 CC bike it has a good fairing on it ..

When I bought MY FZ-07 I always assumed I could add a good fairing .. How not found one for a street bike yet.. Only one for racing with no head light ..I ride the bike long distance bad weather freeze my ass off really need a good fairing.. Just hit a deer with the bike at 50 mph wiped out the front forks and the Puig windscreen have a Mad Stad 16" adjustable windscreen .. it detaches fast for really hot weather you can put on a fly screen .
Even with a good windscreen you still can have cold wet legs..
I should have bought a Tracer but they were not selling them yet in the USA at the time..

I am leaning towards a flasher I can change anytime I want to .. with a lap top while the ECU is still in the bike

FT-ECU 15-19 Yamaha FZ-07 Data-Link Bike Side ECU Flashing Kit - FT-1517-FZ07-SIDE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts