FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I just picked up my FZ07 literally not 2hours ago and was doing hard break ins on the way home. While pushing it into my garage i noticed a shiny object on the rear tire. Turns out it was a screw or some type of metallic object. I don't even know what it is and how/where i got it but yeah... kinda sucks.

A friend of mine has repaired his own punctures on his SV650 using a repair kit and said that he since has been rolling with it without problems. Has anyone ever did this or has experience with this? I literally just brought it home so shelling out for a new back tire already is something I'd like to keep as a last but obviously better option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a nail in my front tire with 120 miles on the bike. I installed a plug in it and have had no issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a nail in my front tire with 120 miles on the bike. I installed a plug in it and have had no issues.
so you used a temporary plug kit and just kept it on for good? front tire isn't the same as having one on the rear tire i fear?

i was gonna pick up one of these

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woot! good news... it was a hex screw that went diagonally into the tread and didn't puncture the tire. YAY!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow lucky, not the situation but the out come :p
Someone told me in the past that your not supposed to patch a motorcycle tire, but I have no idea

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a nail in my rear tire with about 2500 kms on it. I plugged it and ran it to about 10 000 kms when the tire was totally warn out. The plug never failed over the 7500 kms and about 12 mouths. Some guys said that I was crazy to run a plug that long and not replace it as soon as I got home, but tires are not cheap so I ran it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's working now... but generally, you should never run a plugged front tire for any significant length of time.

If that plug fails for whatever reason while you're at speed on the highway... you're toast. At least with a rear, you'll still have the front to stop with... but once the front goes, you're going down.

Wow lucky, not the situation but the out come :p
Someone told me in the past that your not supposed to patch a motorcycle tire, but I have no idea
You really shouldn't plug/patch motorcycle tires at all, but you can get away with it on rear tires. Front tires is a huge gamble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts