FZ 07 Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 2016 FZ-07 and looking at adding a new Yosh R-77 exhaust. Does the bike need to be re-tuning with just adding an exhaust or is it ok to just add an exhaust without a tune for the time being?

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Akrapovic Titanium exhaust system WITH the catalytic converter and WITH the baffle in will get you 4 more horsepower and does NOT "require" a tune or a Fuel controller. It will gain more hp with a tune or a fuel controller.

If you use ANY other exhaust system for the FZ07 you WILL need a tune or a fuel controller.

Not to try and confuse you but even a stock bike will gain hp with a tune or a fuel controller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the M4 slipon exhaust last year w/o retuning or adding a fuel controller. Nobody else I know who installed the M4 aftermarket exhaust retuned their bikes either.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Just because you didn't install a fuel controller doesn't mean that the bike is running with a correct A/F ratio. And, just because you don't know of anyone that installed a M4 (or any other brand), that doesn't mean that the bikes are running a correct A/F ratio. Any time (with maybe the Akro setup being the exception.....maybe), you install a freer flowing exhaust, you are going to be running in a lean condition, to some degree. How lean, you don't know unless you have the bike tuned by someone that knows exactly what they are doing.

Reactions: Bob H

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just because you didn't install a fuel controller doesn't mean that the bike is running with a correct A/F ratio. And, just because you don't know of anyone that installed a M4 (or any other brand), that doesn't mean that the bikes are running a correct A/F ratio. Any time (with maybe the Akro setup being the exception.....maybe), you install a freer flowing exhaust, you are going to be running in a lean condition, to some degree. How lean, you don't know unless you have the bike tuned by someone that knows exactly what they are doing.
Your last sentence said it all. I'm not saying the M4 exhaust is the best one out there. Nor am I saying the engine is running a correct A/F ratio with the M4. I'm aware that it's going to be running lean, as you said, but I'm just saying the bike runs like a raped ape and sounds good as it sits right now. Sure it could probably benefit from a fuel controller and a retune, but it could also benefit from a better aftermarket suspension and other new aftermarket parts as well. But for my riding style the modifications I've made to it are all I need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your last sentence said it all. I'm not saying the M4 exhaust is the best one out there. Nor am I saying the engine is running a correct A/F ratio with the M4. I'm aware that it's going to be running lean, as you said, but I'm just saying the bike runs like a raped ape and sounds good as it sits right now. Sure it could probably benefit from a fuel controller and a retune, but it could also benefit from a better aftermarket suspension and other new aftermarket parts as well. But for my riding style the modifications I've made to it are all I need.
How many motorcycles have you owned with a fuel controller?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How many motorcycles have you owned with a fuel controller?

Original Poster (OP) simply asked; "Is it OK to just add an exhaust without a tune for the time being?" [end quote]

You said; "If you use ANY other exhaust system for the FZ07 you WILL need a tune or a fuel controller.[end quote]

I said; "I installed the M4 slipon exhaust last year w/o retuning or adding a fuel controller. Nobody else I know who installed the M4 aftermarket exhaust retuned their bikes either."

What does your question have to do with the question asked by the OP?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Original Poster (OP) simply asked; "Is it OK to just add an exhaust without a tune for the time being?" [end quote]

You said; "If you use ANY other exhaust system for the FZ07 you WILL need a tune or a fuel controller.[end quote]

I said; "I installed the M4 slipon exhaust last year w/o retuning or adding a fuel controller. Nobody else I know who installed the M4 aftermarket exhaust retuned their bikes either."

What does your question have to do with the question asked by the OP?
I didn't quote the OP...I quoted you. How many bikes have you owned with a fuel controller?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't quote the OP...I quoted you. How many bikes have you owned with a fuel controller?
See subject header. You were absolutely wrong when you said that if you use any other exhaust system for the FZ-07 you WILL [sic] need a tune or a fuel controller. However, feel free to keep trying to change the subject if you wish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
See subject header. You were absolutely wrong when you said that if you use any other exhaust system for the FZ-07 you WILL [sic] need a tune or a fuel controller. However, feel free to keep trying to change the subject if you wish.
Hey if you are happy with a bike that runs like crap....it's fine with me. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up installing a pcv on the bike along with the yoshi r77 and it runs great! Drove it for a few days with the exhaust before the tune and it had a few flat spots and was very poppy during decel.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I ended up installing a pcv on the bike along with the yoshi r77 and it runs great! Drove it for a few days with the exhaust before the tune and it had a few flat spots and was very poppy during decel.
And that ^^^^^ is a classic sign of a motor running lean because of a different exhaust and no change in the fueling/air mixture

1 - 13 of 13 Posts