FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably be an odd question, but sincere...
I'm mature and have ridden a lot of different bikes. A Harley once and most recently a WR250R was the perfect Big Island trans/toy. Time for a new one. I'd like to be a Jay Leno, buy a hangar and fill it with all kinds of bikes, but for a few reasons will control myself. Have narrowed it down to a FZ 07 or a Scrambler Ducati.
I think they are more comparable than one might expect. I have no problem with The FZ 07 and would never look back. Ducati could be $1.5K to 3K more depending. ABS v. water-cooled and of course "naked" v. scrambler style. I give a slight, personal, retro edge to Duc, but that's really it. Just thought I would throw it out there for honest opinions from those who really know The FZ 07.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Between these two choices, I'd go with the 07.
Liquid cooled, lots of aftermarket, lower maintenance $$$.
IMO - thats a win+win+win.

YMMV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

YMMV
Thanks Dave! Can't argue and I've considered the same things and I'm sure u r correct. I know I can't go wrong with Yamaha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

YMMV
I like the Ducati Scrambler, I didn't want an air cooled bike though, and you'll never have wind protection because it wouldn't look right with a windshield.
HPD u make a good point on wind protection. I wasn't too worried or thinking about that, but now I am and having that option is long-term important. Since I'm in hot places H2O cooled has been the BIG thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hear ya! The only thing stopping me at the moment is that I just don't "need" 2 bikes. If I did, there's The FJ 09;) ...crud! Now I'm thinking about 3!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think when comparing bikes....you would need to compare everything...not just looks. The Ducati will never come close to the FZ07's gas mileage....acceleration...top end....light weight....handling or the MSRP that is $1500.00 higher. Therefore it's a no brainer deciding between the two.

Reactions: Joe Craig

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points Bob! Some might be a little closer than we think, but I think you are correct and bottom-line, the kind of thinking I definitely appreciate. Gas mileage is important to my Green Side. I think if one is to own just one bike Yamaha would be hard to beat.
I did recently have a Yamaha WR250R Dual-sport on Big Island Hawaii. Awesome bike. It's mind boggling to think The FZ 07 is only about $300 more than that WR and I think mileage is pretty close as well. Yamaha would seem to really have something in that little 07. "Little" is funny today considering when I started we were blasting around on the first Honda Inline 4-750's. Took a couple cross-country trips on one and it was anything but "little" or under-powered.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Dave! I'll be using it in year round heat and sun so white would be good, but I've only seen photos of that one and like what I see. I'm visiting family in Brrr Michigan for The Holidays and they have the black or carbon one with the blue locally...very nice. The Big Island had a red one and the black/blue. Red went quick. Dark colors and sun? I could live with any color, but I'll see how hard it is to get a white. Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the color topic I would strongly suggest checking them out in person if possible.

I had my mind set based on photos, but once in person that changed.

On the 'which bike' topic, I was looking at the Ducati Monster 696 vs the FZ07. I ended up gong with the FZ07 as it was just an amazing amount of bang for the buck and I couldn't find a bad review out there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Fz7! I've only seen the black version, which I like, but that blue/purple might have a negative growth affect. I guess mostly I wanted to hear from 07 owners and you are correct, it's hard to find anything bad on The FZ 07.
I've heard a couple mentions of engine buzz, but I find it hard to believe with that sized cylinders on a twin?

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is no "engine buzz" unless the owner created it with an aftermarket exhaust.

Reactions: Joe Craig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Joe! Once you get your Fz07 in whatever color you decide and the inter-island ferry starts back up we need to link up for a ride. I'm on Oahu and the roads have been improved dramatically. Saddle road still has those huge cracks and land mines (cow poop) all up and down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I really think this is just bike style question. The 07 is a great bike for the price and I love mine (1800 miles on it), but it is a totally different style bike. I personally totally like the look of the Scrambler, if you like the 'slightly retro style' it just looks awesome. Did you test drive both of them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts