FZ 07 Owners Club banner

Riding Tunes

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  westgl 
#1 ·
So... I'm the type that listens to music when I ride. I put an ear bud in one ear, and leave one open. I realize that some don't agree with this, claiming it poses a safety risk, but I hear fine with one ear bud out and one in. Now, with both ear buds in and music blasted I can't hear shit, and that poses a risk.

Anyway... who also listens whilst riding? And what's your perfered tunes? I seriously listen to almost everything - except jazz, sorry sax players. Lately this is my music preference (it's long, but you have to listen to the entire song to get the full effect):

#2 ·
I took a pair of old headphones apart in glued the speakers in my helmet and bought a old ipod (4th gen the tiny one) and clipped it to the chin curtain. works great plus I can here whats going on around me. I would not ride with ear plugs you cant here anything but music, not a good idea.
I was listening to Pandora and they played a sugarcubes song , Bjork voice is amazing. so im listening to Bjork when I ride. what ever gets your juices flowing is going to be different from others.

#3 ·
I've thought about doing the same with some old headphones, but I think I'm just gonna save some mula and get a blue tooth communication system for Christmas. Hand signals between my husband and I is getting old. I've never heard of the sugarcubes I'll have to give then a listen!

#4 ·
Personally, I don't listen to anything while I'm riding except the sound of my Arrow exhaust and whatever is going on around me. I guess I'm an old school guy and just want to hear anything that comes up while riding.....emergency sirens, brakes squealing, someone passing me, etc.

#5 ·
With only one ear bud in I can hear these things you've described. I know a lot of people who ride with ear plugs (my husband does). You'd think you wouldn't be able to hear but you actually can. Honestly, I probably should wear hearing protection since I have the hearing of someone 10 years older than me thanks to the AF, but I'm foolish, and listen to music too loudly instead. :)

#6 ·
I too wear ear plugs, the custom molded kind. I had a pair made for me in 2002 and still have them and they work very well. They dull out the wind noise, exhaust noise, etc, but still allow for some of the other things I mentioned above. I'm certainly not be critical of anyone that listens to music while they ride, but it's just not for me.

#10 ·
I've never listen to audio books actually. I definitely couldn't on a moto. A lot of the times my music fades into the background of my mind while I'm concentrate on riding. I'd be lost when I brought it back to the forefront. LOL! But to each his own I say! :)

#14 ·
Nah :)
Tried that in the past, was always trying to hear the engine, can't get enough!!

Been wearing an open face for the last 7 years on cruisers, nothing but engine and wind noise in that order!

The Akrapovic won't be louder than my buddies Harley's - heck, they might not even hear me :)

Though mind you, when I'm not on a cruiser I switch to an
HJC-IS33. Not for the wind noise - I'm probably partially deaf from that, lol.

#16 ·
John, remember, the Arrow exhaust I'm talking about went on my FZ09. My wife's FZ07 is still running the stock OEM exhaust. Usually exhausts are not too difficult to install, although lot of folks that bought the Arrow for the FZ09 experienced some alignment issues between the header pipes and the collector nozzle. I/we finally got it, but that particular install was a royal pain. The FZ07 may be totally different and go on like a hot knife through warm butter. And finally, don't forget that in most instances when a full system is installed, in order to get the correct fueling for the motor, an aftermarket fuel controller will need to be installed or the ECU reflashed with a fuel map for that exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.