FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't help with that my son is a tech so I just bought oil and filter we adjust all our own stuff and keep records and receipts. Interested in the answer though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a similar thread here asking the same question. Some say it's going to be $160-$180. But I didn't read if anyone actually paid that for this bike. It seems the popular trend to do the service yourself. I think with it being a new bike, and my first bike, I want it done by the dealer. Fortunately I just remembered my dealer is covering that cost due to their almost most setting my butt on fire with that battery fiasco. Still interested to know the actual cost though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My steelership quoted me around 600 bucks for labour and parts. I can do the oil change buy myself with ease, but what eles do they check?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My steelership quoted me around 600 bucks for labour and parts. I can do the oil change buy myself with ease, but what eles do they check?
If your dealer really quoted you $600, say goodby and don't ever return. In most cases, you'll get only an oil change, but you may not even get that if you don't watch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did it myself using top notch components (K & N filter, Mobil 1 10W40) for $40. Even adjusted the chain yesterday in about 45 mins. At 37 years old, I just got on a motorcycle two months ago; Youtube rocks ;) FWIW I was quoted $230 by the stealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what it looks like its easier than my raptor700. I know how it adjust clutch cables and the chain which is still within spec. I can also read a service manual. Just woundering if selfservicing the bike will void any warantys?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Up until about two weeks ago, I never did an oil change on anything. It's stupid easy. I don't see why it would void the warranty.

Why do dealerships/shops charge so much anyways? Is it because many bikes have fairings? I'm trying to wrap my head around the service pricing in the motorcycle world.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you do the service yourself just document the milage and keep the reciepts for the oil/filter/any parts and you will be good on warranty

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had my bike in for the 600 miles maintenance this weekend with actually 780 on odo,did change oil and filter myself at 600 which save me few dollars.I was there for 2 hours they go over every nuts and bolt,lube and adjusting every moving part cost me 170 that's 80 dollars an hour plus taxes,I know it sounds little high but I always get first service done by my dealer they do a good job never had a problem and keeps me in warranty in case something goes wrong .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Definitely keep receipts to prove. No, doing your own service won't void your warranty.
I do my own work - have done so for years on more bikes than I can remember - plus friends bikes as well. The oil change is straight forward and anyone can learn how to.

For myself, I check engine mount bolts, axel nut/ axel bolt torque front and rear, pinch bolts on the forks, caliper mount bolts, chain slack & battery terminals for tightness. (Fluid levels are a pre ride check item).

Not saying all dealership service departments are bad, but... I've witnessed enough poor workmanship over the years. What's the old saying?
"If you want something done right"...

@ FZ-07 streetfighter - 600!!!!!, wow, now that's outrageous!! Do the work yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am mechanically inclined and have maintained my raptor700 by myself for the past 5 years. From chain adjustment to valve adjustments.
For the torque specs. Can i find those in the service manual that came with the bike?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you have a service manual all torque specs should be listed. The owners manual may have some torque specs listed ie: axel nut / axel bolt torque. Owners manuals I've found are limited, service manuals are a good investment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts