FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the very hot SoCal dez. This past Saturday traded my 2006 Ducati 749 for a brand-new 2016 FZ-07 at Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach, CA. Having a 2-wheel Ferrari for a decade was exciting, but very expensive and uncomfortable (sitting on the exhaust when it's over 90-F out is no bloody fun!). Was tempted by the Ducati Scrambler, but the reliability and practicality compared to the "Yammie" suffered. Then again, the "9" was also very tempting, but the reviews I saw on YouTube, including by Ari Henning of Sport Rider, all said the "7" was a better choice than the "9" for most riders. I'm only 5'8", so the lower seat and narrower fuel tank both appealed to me. My first ride was 90 minutes on crowded SoCal freeways, lane-splitting most of the way with no problem. I really like that the break-in period allows you to go freeway speeds, as 5,000rpm gives you 68MPH. Not quite sure yet how much I like the battleship grey/chicken s*** green paint scheme, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great choice!
for me also it was kind of a split decision between the Scrambler and the Zed. But when I learned on how much the maintenance on the Ducati would cost me, I went for my beautiful 07. I liked it lots more anyways.

The 09 had a really good sale price too, but the salesperson told me it is a ballbuster when you take it for longer trips.

Couldnt be any happier with my 07!

Cheers from Calgary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were it the same price, since I had a "Duck" and various "Duck"-branded clothing, I might have gone the Italiano route, once again. But, as you pointed out, I didn't want to face the ridiculous maintenance costs and dubious reliability of an Italian-designed machine, made in a 2nd-world country, Thailand. I also didn't like Ducati putting an 18" front tire on the Scrambler. Why? To guarantee a market for Italian tire manufacturer, Pirelli? One of the reasons I like the FZ-07 is it comes with the ubiquitous sport-bike tire combo. of 120-70/17 front, 180-55/17 rear. So, in a couple of years, there will be all sorts of brands and models available for replacement. One last item of note: the only nod to modern auto. tech. my 749 had was fuel injection. Another reason I bought the 07, especially over its bigger brother, the 09. Speed mode, traction control, and ABS are all fine, until you run out of warranty and have to pay for those things yourself. Like my "Duck", the FZ-07's only concession to modernity is F.I., and I can live with that. Say "Hi" to Bret the Hit Man Harte for me sometime, okay? (I've got his biography!). PS--I've really been thinking of getting a personalized license plate, which will be an inside joke and would read, "FZED7EH". Canadian motorcyclists might get it, hah-hah! Take care, Ivotrino!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts