FZ 07 Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't test ridden an electric motorcycle, do it. I ride e-bikes and bought a 2011 Zero S a couple of years ago. When the 2013s came out, I test rode the Zero S and was impressed, so I bought that and traded in the 2011. I just turned 7600 miles on the 2013 S and it is in many ways the best motorcycle I have owned.

What do I like about it? 1) it is light depending on the size of the battery. My 8.5 kwh S weighs just 367 lbs. There is a larger battery plus a power pack that can be added, however those add a lot of weight. Lithium batteries are much lighter than lead acid, but when you use them for powering a bike, they are not so light. Light weight means faster too. The 0-60 time is 4.8 seconds. No skill required. Just turn the throttle, the tires spin a bit and you are out ahead of all traffic. Sure there are faster motorcycles, but as you probably know, to get those fast times, they do burn outs, rev, pop the clutch, shift perfectly....drag race in other words. 4.8 seconds is FAST. Plus nobody has a clue you are about to set off like a bat out of hell.

2) You do not have to warm up the bike, nor worry about running the bike for a certain time to lubricate seals and keep the battery charged, exhaust up to temp so you don't corrode exhaust, burn off water from your gas, etc. In other words, you can use the Zero for short trips. That turns out to be huge for me.

3) There is storage where the gas tank would be. Not much, but plenty for a drink refill, cell phone, glasses, etc. There are also tubes where the aluminum frame members come together when you can roll up newspapers or the computer cord used to charge the bike, etc.

4) No shifting and smooth throttle control means you can edge forward in bumper to bumper traffic with ease, even at walking speed, even while you are walking the bike forward. No heat is generated to make you hot or to heat up the motor (well of course there is some heat if the motor is turning, but it is negligible unless you are going highway speeds, and even then, the motor can always be touched. I does not get hot enough to burn you hand. This is an advantage of course for hot summer riding in slow traffic.

5) The Zero is cheap to run....notice I say run, not buy...more on that later. Mine costs a quarter of a penny per mile to run.

Disadvantages: 1) The bike is expensive.

2) It is high tech. Basically a computer on wheels. Not really a fix it yourself motorcycle, so you need to have a dealer or be prepared to ship the bike back to California and be without it for a long time if things go wrong. So, you NEED a dealer. There aren't many of them either...yet. I have one who is my neighbor and the dealership is 3 miles from my home, so this disadvantage does not apply to me.

3) Range. This is not a touring bike and don't expect to buy the bike and wait on infrastructure in the way of charging stations to appear. Know the range of the bike and don't plan trips beyond that. My bike has a range of 100 miles or so at slow, city traffic and about half that at interstate speeds. I charge in my garage. A recharge if the battery is fully discharged takes 6 hours...this varies a little depending on the battery size.

Zeros are programmable using an Iphone or Ipad, downloading a free program from Zero on ITunes and connecting with your bike by Bluetooth. I have mine set for Max regeneration for both off-throttle and braking. Regeneration is minimal, a couple of extra miles is all (about 5%), BUT what this does is mimic engine braking. It is something like dropping down 2 or more gears in a big gas bike. This slows your bike and assists with braking. Many people don't use this feature at all and prefer to use minimal regeneration and let the bike roll when they let off the throttle. Besides eco mode, just described, there is also sport mode. Zero has other models too including a race bike and a dual sport bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
plus i'm not sure about having an electric bike that makes no noise, no engine sound, i think is a bit boring plus no down shift or even up shift it just doesnt feel like a real bike lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The high torque which translates into very fast acceleration off the line and rapid roll-on speed, plus the ability to creep along at a snail's pace and not over-heat in bumper-to-bumper traffic, low cost of usage (mine is a quarter of a penny per mile to ride), stealth, light weight (mine is 367 lbs.), no local airborne or noise pollution, and uniqueness of the bike is what I like. I really like just hopping on the bike and not needing to warm it up too. Throttle control is smooth as silk. I have owned 30 motorcycles and scooters over the years and the Zero S is my favorite bike. You must test ride one to appreciate it I think.

There is some concern about pedestrians with electric bikes and you do have to be extra careful setting out. Same with electric cars and hybrids like the Prius which run the first few feet on the electric motor only, plus hybrids back up under power with no sound until the gas engine cuts in.

My experience with loud bikes is that while people do hear them, they do not know what to do because they cannot see where the sound is coming from. Some will do exactly the wrong thing and move over in front of you, or stop in front of you. This happens with emergency vehicles as well and they have the advantage of being larger and louder than bikes plus they have flashing lights. Yet many police, fire, and ambulances are involved in accidents. I follow the electric motorcycle forum and nobody has reported problems related to electric motorcycles involving accidents and I have 12,000 miles on electric motorcycles without incidents.

My Zero S feels more like a gas bike than a gas bike. Haha. What I mean is that you program the Zero so that as you let off the throttle or engage either brake, you get regenerative braking added to this by computer. It feels just like engine braking. If you go 60 mph in 6th gear on the FZ-07, then down shift to 4th and let out the clutch, you will get a similar slowing effect with the Zero but not as jerky..... more like if the FZ-07 had a slipper clutch. It's faux engine breaking that you control though an Iphone or Ipad with a Zero App using the Bluetooth connection of the Zero. When you want to creep along at walking speed, no problem and no clutch work needed plus the engine does not get hot. I like shifting too, but not in this situation. Then if you want to take off like a bat out of hell, no problem there either...INSTANT 68 ft. lbs. of torque all the way up to speed. To match this on an FZ-07.....well, you couldn't match it. Top torque is 50 ft. lbs. with the FZ-07 and it is at higher rpms. Like I say, you have to ride an electric bike to appreciate it. Take your checkbook along if you do though.

Brammo makes an electric bike also...the Empulse. It does have a clutch and transmission too which means a little more sound, oil to change, a noisy chain, but you don't really need to shift much if at all. It also adds additional weight which I really did not care for. Yamaha and Harley Davidson are coming out with electric bikes too. One would hope that Harley did not design their electric bike (called the Livewire) in Milwaukee where they design Hogs, but instead used some good Japanese engineering instead. Time will tell. The Livewire prototype has already started making the rounds to major cities for test rides.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went to test ride a zero is a fun bike but yeah range of the battery yes still kind of bad i rode maybe 25 minutes killed like 5 % of the battery.
Plus the price 20k for the bike thats not even including taxes vs $7500 for the fz07 i mean do the map let say we keep both bike for 4 years there is no way u going to spend $15k of gas on the fz 07 in 4 years
Not to mention on the fz 07 i can wheelie lol and customize it how ever i want

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those sound like California prices cause we don't pay nearly so much for a new Zero S here. I think mine was $16,000 out the door.

One thing Zero seems to be trying to do is turn the bike into a touring bike. People are always asking about range, so they just put more and more battery capacity in the bikes each year. This is a mistake. The bike functions best as a light-weight, charge at home bike rather than the heavy, SLOWER, longer range bike you get once you start piling on the battery capacity. My Zero S has the 8.5 KWH battery which is the best size, I think. The 11.4 is too heavy. It would be like buying an FZ-07 and the dealer asking you if you want the FZ07 with the small size gas tank or the large gas tank knowing the large gas tank version is slower, costs way more, and doesn't maneuver as much. Somehow, people don't always look at it this way. It's like they want to try and grow corn in Alaska instead of Illinois. I say use the bike to its best advantage. Then buy another bike for your longer trips.

·
Registered
88 Posts
AJ. Thanks for all the info on the electric bike. It sounds really neat. I have a scooter and at this time can not justify the expense of the electric. But in time the cost will go down and I think they make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Found a different company of e-bikes they are call brammos and they have a model that actually have transmission 6 speeds and cost a bit less than the zero.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I test rode a Brammo Empulse R. There are a couple of YouTube videos about the bike. I thought it was too heavy, plus the gears are not really needed, or at least they could reduce it from 6 to 2 gears...high and low. There was also this slack in the transmission where the bike would lurch a little as you stopped or took off. Plus there was chain and transmission noise and oil to change. I much preferred the Zero S. Yamaha is coming out with the PES1 and PED1 electric bikes. Suzuki and Harley both have prototypes too, so things are happening in the electric bike world.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cost and excessive weight would be two issues. A huge advantage of electric is you don't need a heavy engine, exhaust, transmission, oil, gas and gas tank, or a radiator. Add an internal combustion engine and you have to add a whole bunch of other stuff. You would be better off just buying 2 bikes...one electric for shorter trips, and one gas, for longer trips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes man personally i like an electric bikes. They are cool, silent and one can charge them at home as well. They have almost zero impact on environment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts